petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

I have a 3 year old male Siamese, who has lost his appetite

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 3 year old male Siamese, who has lost his appetite -- today is the 3rd day. He backed off from some of his favorite canned food (not supermarket brand) and drinks a little from the tap. We moved to another state about a month ago, and maybe he is not liking the change. We walk him outside on a leash and maybe he ate something outside. He did vomit once about a week ago. Otherwise he seems himself, and plays normally. I thought I would get some chicken from the store and cook some for him, which he has always liked. I appreciate your help, Myrene O'Connor
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Shamus today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. When a cat stops eating, it can be due to a number of reasons either behavioral or medical. If it goes on for longer than a few days, there is a risk it can lead to liver disease and so it is crucial that we get them eating again as soon as possible. It is next to impossible to tempt a cat to eat if they don't feel like it, so the key is to try to figure out why they stopped. This can be a challenge, but the first place to start is a thorough physical exam. If there are not obvious signs found during the exam, we often need to proceed with bloodwork and/or xrays. If we suspect the problem is behavioral and not physical, we will often prescribe a trial of appetite stimulant medication. I would not wait too long to seek veterinary intervention if this has already been going on for three days. If we start to have liver involvement due to inadequate calorie intake, that will further suppress his appetite and it can become a down hill spiral. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z