petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My 10 month old black cat ,Lucy,is losing her fur from her

Customer Question

My 10 month old black cat ,Lucy,is losing her fur from her tail to her mid back. She is an indoor cat . She had fleas for about a month( then the were eliminated with advantage) but that was 3 months ago. I noticed soon after adopting her that she has thin fur between her ears and eyes. I adopted 2 cats from different litters at the same time. The other cat is not having any issues.
Lucy is rambunctious. My other cat used to bite Lucy on the neck... I have separated them and her neck is almost healed. Not sure what to do about the hair loss.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Lucy today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. Allergies are a very common cause of an underlying itch, and cats will usually respond to the itch not by scratching, but by licking or biting or excessive grooming of some sort. Many cats are "closet groomers" and so their owners may not even be noticing any increase in licking or biting but most likely that is why you are noting the hair loss. As far as allergies go, cats can develop symptoms usually from one of three types of causes. Allergies to things in the environment, allergies to components in their food or allergies to flea bites. Flea allergies on the other hand can occur at any age. The distribution pattern of hair loss that you describe is classic for that condition as well. In Lucy's case, her hair loss is most likely an allergic reaction to the previous fleas she had and I would not be surprised if there are still a few in the environment that are causing this to persist.Keep in mind that a cat with a flea allergy is different that a cat with fleas in that one flea bite can set off an allergic reaction that leads to itchy skin and hair loss. Even of you are not seeing fleas, it doesn't mean that she is not getting an occasional flea bite. I would definitely make it a point to get both cats back on a safe and effective monthly product like Frontline Top Spot or Advantage and see if the condition improves. As an additional measure, you might want to consider having Lucy examined by your vet to make sure there is nothing else going on to determine if she may benefit from a short course of steroids. Since the fleas set off an allergic reaction, even if they are all removed today, the effect of the previous bite can last for weeks and steroids are often needed to break the itch cycle. There are other things to look for as well that can make a cat lose their hair like mange mites and ringworm. Your vet will have a better idea if further testing is needed to rule these things out after a thorough physical exam. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 8 months ago.
Hi Angela,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Z.