petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

What makes our cat drink and eat two or three times as much

Customer Question

What makes our cat drink and eat two or three times as much as normal? He has even lost quite a bit of weight too.
Mrs Tennis
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Tiger today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. One of the most common causes of increased appetite and thirst along with weight loss is an overactive thyroid or also known as hyperthyroidism (HT). These affected cats will often have a voracious appetite, but continue to lose weight. The increased thyroid hormone has a negative effect on multiple organ systems, including the GI tract and the heart as well as potentially leading to hypertension. It is usually easily identified with a blood test and treatment options vary. Here is a link to more information about this disorder in cats. LINK HERE Of course there are other possibilities, but those symptoms are pretty classic. I would definitely have Tiger examined by your veterinarian so that the diagnosis can be made and treatment options can be discussed. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z