Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My kitten is 9 weeks old and she has a very big pot belly it's

Customer Question

My kitten is 9 weeks old and she has a very big pot belly it's firm to touch and when I massage it she doesn't seem to care. But she is lying down a lot. She's wormed and well fed there it is also more protruded on her left side. it's come on very suddenly (two days ago) should I be worried or is this normal for kittens? There is so much conflicting advice on the Internet. But she's pooing twice a day and weeing fine and playing and chasing and running around like she always does. She doesn't seem to be in any pain but I'm really worried about the protruding left side. I've checked her stool there is no worms it just looks like way to much bulge for one little cat :(
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any other symptoms besides the pot belly?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No not that's can see or tell
Friend, it is common and normal for kittens to have a slight pot belly especially if they have intestinal parasites. However, there medical disorders that can cause the abdomen to be slightly enlarged; there could be viral infections like FIP, congenital enlargement of organs (rare), etc. to name a few causes. To be on the safe side I would have family veterinarian examine the kitten to make certain it is normal and not a pathological condition. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!