Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have an adult female cat who is very territorial toward a

Customer Question

I have an adult female cat who is very territorial toward a new adult male cat. Both belonged to my daughter but brought into my home at different times. The female cat is hissing, slapping at, and generally preventing the male cat from having access to his food and litter box. He has been relegated to under my bed. Would it be appropriate to administer a very low dose of Alprazolam to the female cat to get her to calm down?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.
Hello Nancy, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
typing is best for me as I am at work in a hospital (people, not pets) :)
No problem Nancy, just typing out your answer now ... Regards, ***** *****
Hello again Nancy I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. You have hit the nail on the head, keeping them separate is not going to resolve this issue, where my clients have experienced this sort of problem with their cats in the past then I have often suggested the following plan, and though it requires a bit of work on the owner's part it has often helped considerably.1. Get a wire cat basket big enough to hold one cat plus a litter tray and a bowl of water. You place the cage in an area where the cats would normally wander in the house and you put each cat in the cage on alternate days so there is always one cat in the cage. This way the cats get used to the sight and smell of the other cat without getting at each other, also the cat smells get through an area of the house where they normally wander. 2. After four or five days of this I would then try and feed the cats in the same room each day with the bowls far apart. You will have to be there to supervise and be ready to control them. If this works start gradually bringing the food bowls back together.3. After that try having the cats together in one room while you are there to supervise perhaps in the evening when you are watching TV and so gradually reduce the time each cat is in the cage until they get on. Having said that there will always be the odd scrap that's normal, but I have known this general approach to work very well. 4. Also consider using Feliway, again this option often helps, perhaps in combination with the above, more info on Feliway via this link : LINK 5. Low dose tranquillisers may also have their place, but I would stress low dose and then a gradual reducing dosage to zero if things are working out. The drug I have found to work best in this sort of situation is Amitriptyline, more info HEREI hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you so much. I will try the crate approach, starting with the aggressor.
Hello again, It is all a bit of work for you I know, but this way the cats will gradually get used to each other but cannot cause any damage to each other. By all means start with the aggressive cat but alternate the cats on each day after that ... Good luck! Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Nancy,I am just checking back in to see how your cats are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning their social issues ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.