Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat 11 years old has been pooping green, smelly runny

Customer Question

My cat 11 years old has been pooping green, smelly runny crap all over the house for more than 2 weeks. What can i do??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.
Hello Lola, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Lola Sorry to hear DJ is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... Diarrhoea such as you describe is actually less common cats than dogs and where it does result is usually the result of a tummy bug of some kind but of course other causes are possible such as intestinal parasites. This sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% certain you are doing the right thing then you should have your vet check DJ over without delay, however there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in cats, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases. Here are some examples ... 1. Assuming DJ is still otherwise fairly bright and happy then you might want to try and control the situation with diet alone before you try anything else. This is logical and often works, the thinking here is to give her intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it gradually back to function. I have often advised my clients at my clinic to do the following :A. Starve DJ for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.2. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your cat's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your cat's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A couple of teaspoons twice a day is fine for most cats. Of course if the above does not quickly start work or if DJ deteriorates in any way then you should see your vet without delay, where the condition has been going on for a little time as in your cat's case it is possible that prescription drugs such as antibiotics may be required or faecal assay may be needed in the case of intestinal parasites. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you
No problem, very glad to be advising you. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if DJ's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further Kindest regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers
Hello again Lola,I am just checking back in to see how DJ is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his diarrhoea ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.