Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat had dental surgery last Wednesday and 4 molars were removed. He came home that day

Customer Question

My cat had dental surgery last Wednesday and 4 molars were removed. He came home that day and has been eating and drinking fine until last night. We went back to the vet Saturday as he was lethargic on friday and they have him a shot of painkiller which perked him up. They wanted the surgeon who did the op to check his teeth yesterday so we want back. The vet was happy with the recovery in his mouth and altho he may need further surgery in the future, there is no soreness and he advised me that Milo could now have hard food again. Initally when we returned from the vet yesterday afternoon, Milo ate a small amount but after that lost his appetite. His painkiller is taken in his food in the evenings and I am pretty certain he didn't have it all yesterday.
This morning he didn't get up until I did at 8am, usually he wakes me at 5.30! He came to the kitchen as if he wanted food but lickedthe moisture off a bit of it and then walked away. This is very unusual for him. He's a nervous cat a
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I have to say that I am quite concerned about Milo.Despite his vets seeing anything worrisome when they checked, his behavior and picking at his food this morning does suggest that he is still sore. And if he is taking his pain relief in his food, then he may be caught in situation where eating will make him feel better but he is too sore to do so.Therefore, in this case, we'd need to either try to tempt him with soft foods until we can give his next pain relief dose (directly into his mouth). Or if he is very sore and since we cannot be sure how much of the pain relief he did or didn't have last night, we'd need to consider either ringing his vet for an alternative pain relief to be dispensed or having a second injection of an alternative pain relief give. That way we can treat his discomfort now without worry of any overdose by using the same treatment in a 24 hours time frame. As well, if we use an alternative like Buprenorphine, it is a strong pain reliever and may just help get him a wee bit more settled here as his mouth heals and hopefully stops causing him bother. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hi Gemma,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- **I hope all is well with your wee one. If possible, I would be grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). This can be done by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page. If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)