Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Rescue cat now much loved. Shook head a lot at first. Was treated

Customer Question

Rescue cat now much loved. Shook head a lot at first. Was treated for ear mites, but became worse. Severe underrlying problem. Under gen. Anaesthetic had ears cleaned but was told canal had closed. Still a lot of debris despite regular cleaning. Now fluid is coming out of ears, more one side than the other. Problem does not seem to begetting better. Suggestions please. Medics. Used are Easiotic (one of the few effective antibiotics) and Otodine twice a week for cleaning. Anyhelp would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. T. Jackson
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. This sounds like a cat that needs a TECA=BO procedure. That is a total ear canal ablation and bulla osteotomy. It's done in these chronic ear infection cats. What happens, is there is an infection that gets into the tympanic bulla. This is the base of the skull that houses the inner ear. It is lined with mucosal tissue. This tissue can harbor an infection. It is away from the external ear and topical meds don't get back that far. Sometimes we can clear it out with oral antibiotics, but not always. In the cases where we can't, it's a surgical fix to remove all that mucosal tissue in the ear canal and in the bulla. I would start with a 30 day course of antibiotics. If that does not clear up the infection, then I would do a CT (cat scan) of the head. That will show the bulla and ear canals. From there, I would go forward with a TECA-BO surgery on one or both sides, based on CT results. Here is a nice write up of the procedure: I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hi Tina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?