Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My cat ate about a serving of balsamic viniagrette with some

Customer Question

My cat ate about a serving of balsamic viniagrette with some turkey. I'm concerned as the dressing may have "2% or less" of spices including garlic and onion. He is not sick right now. It was about 5 hours ago. I read that it can take cats 2-4 days to show symptoms. Should i be concerned this was toxic?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How much turkey did she eat? 2- How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He ate about a slice or two of turkey with maybe two tbsp of blasmic viniagrette dressing on top. He weighs about 14 lb.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, the toxic dose in cats for garlic is 1 g/kg and for onions 5 g/kg. So, this means that for a 14 lbs cat he would need to eat at least 31 grams of onions and 6.2 grams of garlic to be concern about toxicity. The seasoning has less than 2% of spices that is about 1.2 grams in 2 tablespoon. So, based on this information it is unlikely for this to be toxic for your cat. As a general precaution observe him for the next few days, if he becomes lethargic, pale gums, changes in respiration, etc. have him checked by family veterinarian. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not sure I understand how you came to the calculation, can you please explain? Thank you.
I am sorry you did not understand. Can you tell me which part it is all written out for you above.