Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Male cat about 12 years old. Stool very hard, small pieces'

Customer Question

male cat about 12 years old. Stool very hard, small pieces' drinks often. Worried about the stool. Can you help?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Is she straining to defecate?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
For several years. I spoke to my vet but he did not have any answers that worked. He is a male and does not seem to be straining. Sometimes the stool hangs from and then just falls off. He does dig in his litter box for a long time, otherwise he appears to be in good health. I am not sure of his age, he was found in a kill shelter after hurricane Sandy. He has a chip inplanterd but the vet will not give me the information.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The vet indicated that he may have Kidney problems and I have him on a special diet, Purina NF mixed with Purina Chicken and rice. He refuses to eat wet food but drinks water often.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you need any more information from me?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing else
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please give me a few more minutes, I am typing, thank you.
Friend, the moisture content in the feces is directly related to water intake. So, if the stool is very dry he needs to increase his water intake. This is what you can try: 1- Get him to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth. 2- Add 1-2 teaspoon of canned pumpkin to his food, increasing fiber in the diet helps to pull water into the intestines.3- As a stool softener you can give 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 24 hours or Mineral oil 1 to 2 teaspoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy. 4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation or hard stool it will act as a stool softener. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter