Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

He is a young cat. Sneezing,not much, coughs sometimes ,dry,

Customer Question

He is a young cat. Sneezing,not much, coughs sometimes ,dry, can hear him breathing. Still eating and drinking,plays with other cats and is interested in birds, flies flying by.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Bluey,, 12 months
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.How long has he had these signs?
Any discharge from his eyes or nose?
If so, one or both sides? What color?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
3 days. There is no discharge from his eyes
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** situation does raise a few concerns. Common causes for the signs you are reporting include allergies, polyps, grass stuck in the nostril, or cat flu. That said, considering Bluey's age and his being otherwise well, an upper respiratory tract infection would be out top concern here.Now its not clear from your reply to whether he has nasal discharge. If he does have snotty discharge, that will be a sign of bacterial infection and antibiotics would be indicated. Otherwise, if that is not the case, then we can use some supportive care to reduce his signs and try to make him more comfortable. To start, since he is sneezing and congested, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. It also will help reduce irritation in the upper airway. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, but often cats don’t like things held up to their faces (but you can often make little ‘steam tents’ with the kitty in their carrier with these and a sheet).If he is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. Furthermore, you can use saline nasal drops like Ocean Mist (but not anything medicated) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt his head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.Furthermore, if allergies are suspect for him, we can potentially trial him on an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine for these cases (More Info/Dose @ at a low dose of 0.25mg per pound of his body weight twice daily. And as it does have some decongestant abilities, it can help if we have flu as well. We like to keep the dose low in cats, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your lad has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet. As well, making sure he is getting food and water is important, as congested cats who can’t smell their food often won’t eat as well as they should. Therefore, if you see any decline in his normal appetite, do consider tempting him with smelly wet foods (since they are high in water). It may help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help him be able to smell it.Overall, we do have a few concerns for Bluey's signs. Since his signs are not severe and he is still eating, I would note that the above supportive care will be the core to helping soothe his signs. Of course, if you use this and he doesn't settle over the next few days or you see any snotty discharge, then we'd want consider following up with his vet for examination +/- antibiotics to clear this for him. All the best, ***** you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.