Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

One side of my guinea pigs abdomen is swollen and she has

Customer Question

Hi, one side of my guinea pigs abdomen is swollen and she has been acting weird today. I was gone this weekend but my roommate said that yesterday she didn't poop much. She won't lie on the swollen side and she does not want to move much.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Abdomen?
Customer: She's 2 her name is Moo.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No that's it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.
Is the swelling soft, fluidy or hard?
Any changes to her breathing or appetite?
Was the stool she passed normal?
Are her gums pale or pink?
Any history of trauma? Any chance of pregnancy?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It seemed soft. I also noticed that she has some sort of cut on her front right paw and she was limping but I thought the limping was due to the swelling on the left side. Yes I haven't seen her have a normal poop, she has only been having the green ones that she eats but she is eating fine and she may have pooped in the night. She is acting more normal but not putting weight on her paw. Her gums are pink, I don't think anything happened but a few days ago something glass broke and me and my roommate may have not gotten all the shards off the floor. She was breathing faster last night when she was lying down and it seemed like she was in pain from her abdomen because she refused to lye on her left side.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about your lass.Soft swelling of the abdomen is often related to fluid accumulation (as opposed to tumors or enlarged organs). Specifically, it can be a sign of internal bleeding, heart issues, and secondary to liver disease, severe parasite burdens, and infection (peritonitis). And I would note that in all of these cases, we do see a reduction in fecal output due to the non-rigid gut being compressed by the fluid overfilling the gut. As well, if the fluid accumulation is extensive, we can also see changes in breathing as it pushes up on the diaphragm. Finally, though less common, we can cysts associated with the reproductive tract also cause distension as you have reported (though usually they aren’t quick in onset and don’t cause them to appear as poorly as she has been). With all this in mind, we do need to tread with care. Ideally, we’d want to have her to her local vet for abdominal palpation and ultrasound. That way they can confirm which issue is present; which will be key to treading this for her (ie medical management for heart or liver issues; antibiotics for infection, cysts can be removed surgically or at least drained; etc). Of course, they can dispense pain relief and antibiotics for her foot at the same time. Overall, your lass’s signs do raise some serious worries. Therefore, we’d want to be proactive and use the above steps to determine which issue is present here. And the sooner we do that for her, the better the chance we have at getting this settled and getting her back on track. If you don’t already have an exotics vet, you can find one near you at or As well, you can also check @ as these vets usually will see pocket pets as well Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! :
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow afternoon is it ok to wait that long? Or should I try and find a different vet today.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,With how stoic guinea pigs are and how often they wait until things are advanced before they let their owners know there is a problem, I'd be keen for her to be seen sooner. Though if she is eating, drinking, and breathing comfortably; you can delay in having her seen. But of course if that changes, we'd need her seen sooner.All the best,Dr. B.