Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

I'm a foster mom to kittens and mom. One of them seems to

Customer Question

I'm a foster mom to kittens and mom. One of them seems to be going downhill quickly. I've forced some formula as she is 2 pounds lighter then it's sibling. This one is about 3 weeks old and like its mom seemed to have an eye infection, that I'm treating with drops. It's breathing seems a little big
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: I call it gizmo, but don't normally name my fosters till they are a bit older
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Kitten seems a little weak. If it were older I'd think it might be dehydrated, but I don't know if kittens have that problem
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You're correct to be supplementing feeding and, yes, dehydration is a significant risk as is chilling at the kitten's age. You may have a "fading kitten" which is an umbrella term for a multitude of environmental, metabolic, and infectious disorders at this age. These kittens require intensive care while hospitalized and the expense of such care is rarely entertained by caretakers. The eye infection is usually due to the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) which can be lethal at this kitten's age. Mycoplasmal and Chlamydophilal bacterial infections are differential diagnoses for these eyes. I understand your constraints as a foster, however. Please give me an update on this kitten if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?