Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My cat was neutered Fri & I brought him home Sat and he hasn't

Customer Question

My cat was neutered Fri & I brought him home Sat and he hasn't eaten anything. Is that normal? He is drinking water. Someone told me to give him chicken or turkey baby food. I tried tonight but he just took a few licks then walk ed away.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. This is not uncommon to see in cats that have recently had an anaesthetic. Often it is because the drugs cause a bit of disorientation, unsteadiness, and confusion. That said, it usually will wear off in the 24-48 hours afterwards. Therefore, we’d not be alarmed here but want to monitor him closely.In regards ***** ***** the baby food is fine (as long as its garlic/onion free). Otherwise, we can try calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned kitten food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure) if he will drink. As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get lots of nutrition in, even if he isn’t eating normally.Overall, this isn’t abnormal but we do want to keep a close eye on him. We can use the above just now to get some nutrition into him. Though if this lingers over 48 hours, we’d want a post operative check to just make sure there are no opportunistic GI infections rearing their head and causing him bother. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )