Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Our 16 yr old cat developed hyperthyroidism about a yr ago.

Customer Question

Our 16 yr old cat developed hyperthyroidism about a yr ago. The vet put him on Science Diet YD. It did bring his thyroid # ***** to normal range. The cat hates the food & eats very little of the canned YD & some of the dry. He is getting very skinny. Is it possible that he could ever switch to a high grade cat food, if so any suggestions as to what kind. Or is he doomed to YD forever. Our other cat eats Science Diet ID for digestion. Her food looks like a feast compared to his. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 8 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. How long ago was his last thyroid levels checked? How long ago was his last blood work checked? The reason I ask this is that if he's been getting thinner, then the question comes up as to if his thyroid level is being controlled or if something else is going on.