Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.

My cat is very congested. I would like to give her something,

Customer Question

My cat is very congested. I would like to give her something, to help her breath until her vet can see her on Tuesday. Ms. Precious is 13 years old. She is still eating, and drinking but with difficulty breathing.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Ms. Precious and congestion. This is a very common issue, and - unfortunately - it's a difficult one to deal with. The simple reality is that there are NO decongestants that are safe or effective for use in cats. I'm so sorry. I wish I had better news for you. That means that we have to rely on old-fashioned, low-tech treatments for relief. I always advise my clients with congested cats to do the same as you for a croupy baby: take her into the hot and steamy bathroom as much as possible. Heat and humidity help to loosen the mucus and phlegm so she can sneeze it out. Run a moist-air humidifier, if you can. Eucalyptus oil in the humidifier can help. But as far as drugs go, there aren't any that will work for a cat. Does this help to answer your question for now?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 6 months ago.
Good. I'm glad I could be helpful, even though it's mostly to let you know there aren't any drugs that will work. I hope she gets some relief with the heat and humidity. Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Just checking in to ask how Ms. Precious is doing.Thank you, ***** *****