Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I treated my cats with Advantage Multi on monday, but still seeing fleas on one. Both ani

Customer Question

I treated my cats with Advantage Multi on monday, but still seeing fleas on one. Both animals (advatange multi) and house have been treated (pesticide, vaccuming and DM). I noticed that when I put the tube down after treating the cat, a little liquid spilled out. Would this be the reason and if so how soon could I reapply the missed dose.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this persistent problem with the fleas. Sometimes fleas can be a challenge. In this situation considerations have to be including was not enough applied? Did it get applied on the fur and not on the skin and it didn't get absorbed as it should? Could the fleas getting onto him be from the environment and just not had enough time on him to be killed? Here is an excerpt from the Bayer website: in Kittens: Advantage Multi for Cats was topically applied at 0, 1, 3, and 5X the maximum dose to 48 healthy 9-week-old kittens on days 0, 28, and 56. Lethargy was observed in 1 kitten from the 3X group and 1 from the 5X group on the day after initial treatment; the kitten from the 3X group was also disoriented and ataxic. One kitten from the 3X group had a slow pupillary light response two days after treatment and one had tremors the day after treatment. Hypersalivation was seen in one kitten from the 5X group approximately six hours post-treatment. One kitten from the 3X group was scratching at the treatment site 2 days after treatment. Slight cough was noted in 7 different kittens (2-0X, 2-1X, and 3-5X) during the 13-day period following the first treatment. Histopathology showed granulomatous inflammation at the treatment site in three 1X kittens. Causal relationship to the drug could not be determined. Pulmonary inflammation (1-5X) and lymphoid hyperplasia (2-1X, 4-3X) were seen in treated kittens. In a second study, Advantage Multi for Cats was topically applied at 0, 1.7, 5.2 and 8.7X the maximum dose to 48 healthy 9-week-old kittens every two weeks for 6 doses. One kitten in the 8.7X group apparently ingested an unknown amount of the drug and developed the following clinical signs prior to euthanasia: mydriasis, salivation, depression, vomiting, unsteadiness, rapid to slow to difficult breathing, poor pupillary response, generalized tremors, inability to move, and nystagmus. Two kittens in the 5.2X group developed mydriasis, salivation, depression, squinting, and poor appetite. A kitten in the 1.7X group developed mydriasis.Dose Tolerance Study: Eight healthy juvenile cats were topically dosed with a single application of Advantage Multi for Cats at 10 times the recommended dose volume. Mild, transient hypersalivation occurred in two of the cats.-----So you can see from this that there could be some reactions from a double dosing of the medication in a random few of the cases. The safest thing to do here (and maybe the most effective) would be to get a single dose of a topical flea preventative like Frontline which is a different drug and different mechanism of action to apply as a dose right now. This would then treat the current fleas and then the next dose of Advantage multi could be applied in one month. Could an owner take some small risk and apply a second dose? That is something that some owners do if they feel comfortable taking on that very small risk.
Hi Susan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?