Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My female cat is 17 yrs. old, has been confined to the kitchen

Customer Question

My female cat is 17 yrs. old, has been confined to the kitchen because she started urinating on carpeted areas of the house. Now, she is urinating and defecating under the kitchen table instead of using the clean litter box, which is setting by the table. She still uses the litter box some, but is using the bare floor more. She has urinated in her food bowl, also; and has, continuously, urinated on her bed. I have tried several different types of beds, and the results are the same. Can cats become mentally ill?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, yes, we do see inappropriate eliminative behavior arise in association with cognitive dysfunction (senility). It's important to have a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests performed as you've done because there are a multitude of disorders in a 17 year old that can encourage that behavior in addition to congnitive dysfunction or independent of it. You're likely to find that chronic renal insufficiency exists, hyperthyroidism is an important differential diagnosis as it is well known to cause inappropriate elimiminative behavior, and she may be hypertensive. Be sure to have her blood pressure checked.I would be pleased to review her test results for you if you wish. Can you upload a copy of the test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?