Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My adopted cat 3 years old is so freightened she runs anytime

Customer Question

my adopted cat 3 years old is so freightened she runs anytime we are near with the exception at night while we are asleep she jumps on the bed and sleeps with us, but in the morning she hides and runs from us. I don't know how to help her.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hi Carol,Bless you for Saving Delilaha.It is normal for a kitty to be scared when she comes into a new home. Imagine if aliens picked you up and dropped you in a strange place with new smells and people you did not recognize......wouldn't you be terrified?Since she feels safe sleeping with you that tells me she is trying to bond with you and just needs time.If you can just be patient I promise she will will soon trust you enough to become affectionate.There are ways to speed up this process.1. make sure she sees YOU bring her food. To a means LOVE and they CAN be bribed!2. get a small paint roller, the type used on trim. Roll is on her paws and neck where there are scent glands. Then roll it on furniture, door ways and window sills. That way she will smell her own scent on things and feel more comfortable.3. try to gently pet her when you feel her sleeping next to yo.4. get a feliway plug in to keep her calm. If she hides under the bed sit down on the floor, speak softly and offer her food from your hand. If she will not come out just put down where she can reach it without being completely out of her safe spot. If she looks at you do a slow blink. That says I like you and men you no harm.Please keep me posted on how things are going.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.