Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

Customer: I have an 18 year old cat who is constipated. He's

Customer Question

Customer: I have an 18 year old cat who is constipated. He's been eating, drinking, and seemed to be doing well, until of course the vet's office closed. Now I'm having issues getting him to eat anything. I just need to get him through to Monday morning when I can take him in again. What can I do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He had an abcess on his back side lanced and his blood work shows low red blood cells and high white blood cells, kidney and thyroid are normal. My vet has had me giving him canned food and pumpkin, which until this afternoon he was eating like a champ.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your boy who seems constipated. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. Your boy's inappetance is definitely an issue today and while this could be as a result of being a little constipated, we do have to consider other causes here even though he recently had a relatively normal blood and urine test. Given his age, we also have to consider whether your boy could have oral pain, as he no doubt has some degree of a dental issue and dental pain. The key for tonight and tomorrow will be to encourage your boy to drink well. Often that is the underlying cause with feline constipation as well. If he is typically on dry food, you need to try him with a range of different wet foods. It sounds like he has been on wet food and pumpkin which is great with a high fiber and moisture content. It would be worth trying a couple of different brands of wet food tonight if you can get some, and you could even try a 'feline broth' from your local supermarket - Purina make these I believe. If he does have a little bit of wet food tonight (his normal canned food), then you could pop a very small amount of cooking oil on this. 1 teaspoon or so of olive oil generally does the trick, and this may help to get things moving for your boy. If you have it, you could also give around half a teaspoon of plain metamucil or just plain psyllium husks and seeds to get things moving. This along side increasing his water intake may be enough to get things moving for him and that in turn will likely improve his appetite. For tonight and tomorrow, please keep an eye your boy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your boy doesn't try to bite you):Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet. If he continues to refuse food overnight, then I would actually recommend getting him seen by your local after hours vet tomorrow if your regular vet isn't open on a Sunday. All the best with your boy and let me know how you get on. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.