Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of ten years in small animal practice in England
40862463

My male cat is about 3.. Hes been bloated and just laying around

Customer Question

My male cat is about 3.. Hes been bloated and just laying around you can tell his tummy hurts. Im not sure if its warms or just constipation but is there anything i can so to nake him feel more comfortable until i can get to the vet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 8 months ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you and your cat. I'm sorry that he is ill. I have a couple of questions, if that's ok.- have you seen him urinate recently? Is he trying to go or straining at all?- has he been sick?- does he go outside?- has he eaten anything unusual recently?Thank you - the extra information will really help. Rosie.
Hi I'm not sure if there has been a computer glitch and you have already replied to my questions (it came up as having a reply and there was nothing there) - if you have then please could you do it again because I can't see the answers! Thank you, ***** ***** Rosie.
Hi again - sorry to be harassing your inbox but I need to go offline now so I thought I would help you before I did so. To be honest, I am worried about your cat. The main thing I am worried about is that he has become blocked - physically unable to urinate - which is a genuine medical emergency. This happens in some male cats with cystitis - the inflammation in the bladder produces a sludge, which can physically block up the urethra (the tube that they urinate through). In these patients, they become extremely uncomfortable (as you would imagine if you are desperate to go to the toilet but physically cannot do so), and the abdomen becomes bloated. The urine can also back up and damage the kidneys, sometimes permanently. What is most worrying is that the potassium becomes dangerously high, which in itself can be fatal. If he is blocked then he needs urgent treatment ASAP - get him to your closest open vets as a matter of priority. The only treatment is an anaesthetic and physically catheterising the bladder to unblock him. If he is blocked and isn't treated then it is fatal. I'm sorry that I think an ER visit is warranted, but in this case I truly think it is. If he isn't blocked then this could be a really several abdominal issue (for example pancreatitis or bloat in his stomach), which would also require emergency attention. Worms wouldn't really cause him this much pain. There isn't anything in the house you can give him either, as human pain relief medications are toxic to cats (and if he is blocked pain relief, whilst making him more comfortable, really won't help). I'm sorry that I think he is potentially very sick, and that you need an ER visit, but in this case I really think you do. If you have any further questions or need clarification then just get back to me. Otherwise, if you have found this useful, please leave a positive rating. I am genuinely worried about him, and I really think you should get him checked out. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rosie_MRCVS