Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Customer: not sure, limping on (R) back paw. Not sure if it

Customer Question

Customer: not sure, limping on (R) back paw. Not sure if it is cut or stepped on something. Not putting weight on her paw. (Cat)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: No, not bleeding at all. it looks as if the second pad in from the right claw is swollen
JA: Phew. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Boo 5 years
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Boo
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Boo is limping and has a swollen paw pad.This is most likely an abscess from your description.Generally these occur secondary to a puncture, bite or scratch wound that injects bacteria deep into tissue. The original wound may be so small we never notice it and heals quickly. Meanwhile the bacteria deep in the tissue proliferate and lead to discomfort and inflammation, thus the limp, and eventually the tissue in the area starts to die from the inflammation, pressure and bacteria. In her case I would also recommend examining her claw on that foot very closely. Sometimes they get their claw stuck on something and can damage the attached area at the base, leading to pain and a secondary infection. The entire process for an infection to take hold usually takes about a week to ten days. They seem to become very painful up overnight once the infection gets established.Treatment is based upon draining the abscess fully, removing the dead, infected tissue, and starting an oral antibiotic to get rid of the infection.If she's eating and drinking normally and doesn't seem too uncomfortable this doesn't warrant an emergency visit but she should be seen by her veterinarian as soon as possible.In the meantime, if she will let you, you can her foot in an Epsom salt bath very warm/hot water for 10 minutes at a time several times a day. Then rinse her paw in cool water and pat dry. This will hopefully cause the abscess/infection to drain which would be best for her.In most cases though topical treatment doesn't work and they must be seen by a veterinarian and get oral antibiotics prescribed.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.
You are very welcome, have a good weekend.