Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat (2yrs) has a urinary tract infection. I took her to

Customer Question

My cat (2yrs) has a urinary tract infection. I took her to the vet 2 weeks ago and he gave her a shot. Now it is back. I can't afford another vet bill. I live by myself on social security so I need to know where this is coming from and how to correct it. Can you suggest help?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. Cats rarely get UTI's. The more common cause of blood in the urine or urinating out of the box is a sterile inflammatory condition of the bladder called FIC (feline idiopathic cystitis). This is a stress induced condition. Many do respond to antibiotics, but they respond better to anti-inflammatory meds and environmental enrichment at home. If you want to try an anti-inflammatory at home, you can use Aspirin. You can give 1/2 of an 81 mg Aspirin every 2-3 days, as needed. One or two doses should be plenty. Here is a nice link on the condition with other things you can do at home to try to help prevent these episodes: I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?