Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My 18 yr old cat is dying. She can't get comfortable, and i

Customer Question

My 18 yr old cat is dying. She can't get comfortable, and i am wondering if I can successfully euthanzie her with buprenor. We have a vet appt tomorrow…but she is really uncomfortable right now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: She weighs 4 lbs, is having difficulty supporting herself with her hind legs
JA: Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: no
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your cat. Unfortunately, there is no way to humanely euthanize a pet at home. We get this question a lot, but there is just no way. An overdose of Buprenorphine will just cause neurologic signs and vomiting/ diarrhea. We can't euthanize this way. The only humane euthanasia is with sodium pentobarbital in euthanasia solution. If she is suffering, I would find a 24 hour ER vet nearby and utilize them. Otherwise, I would just give Buprenorphine every 4-6 hours to keep her comfortable and get to your vet in the morning for a humane euthanasia. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hi Stacy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?