Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Doc: We are adopting a cat from a shelter. She is about

Customer Question

Hello doc: We are adopting a cat from a shelter. She is about 1 yr and just gave birth to two kittens. We already have a 14-year old Himalayan and were wondering what was the BEST way to introduce them to avoid anxiety and/or fights Carol Davies
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm very glad to hear that you're opening up your home to a new addition. I've made two additions to my house with two new cats over the past year. The acclimation of the new cat into the house with the established cat is a process. It is one that in all reality is best done very slowly. One of the first things I'd get here is a feline specific calming pheromone diffuser called Feliway. It can be found at It can be used in the environment to help with the stress that will most likely be experienced by both cats. The best thing to then do is to have the new cat in a single room of the house with food, water and litter box. She can stay in there for a week while getting used to the new house. The resident cat and her can then experience slight smells from one and other through the door. You can take towels or blankets that the other is on from one area to the other. After that first week, then they can get brief glimpses of each other for a minute or so a couple times a day and then separated. After a week of this, then they can be allowed to be around each other in more and more exposed situations. Can this process be taken slower or sped up? It all depends on the cats involved as some are more eager for a change while others are less.