Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a Maine Coon cat that was left by her owners and was

Customer Question

I have a Maine Coon cat that was left by her owners and was left to fend for herself for quite some time. We rescued her and took her to the humane society to get her shots. She is spayed but she had a lot of matts in her fur, this required her to be shaved. We got her shaved a week after her shots and now she is acting very strange. Barely eating or drinking and doesn't do much. No playing nothing. I have tried all kinds of food, soft, tuna, milk, nothing. She appears to be depressed. She is not throwing up no diarrhea no cough, and doesn't appear to have a fever. What do I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 8 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that Kiki is ill, but I'll do my best to help. She is a very lucky kitty that you took her in and are giving her such great care and attention. What you are seeing in terms of symptoms is very vague, meaning that it could be caused by a wide variety of troubles ranging from completely benign issues to life threatening ones. On the benign end, I would have the possibility that she's just stressed or sore from her recent handling and shaving (I know you said it was done one week after her shots but I don't know how long ago that was done in relation to today). Another benign issue would be that she's got a self limiting infectious GI upset (think stomach flu) or she ate something that didn't agree with her, causing her to temporarily lose her appetite. A bit more severe would be the potential for pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). The most common symptom of pancreatitis in the cat is anorexia (not eating). Pancreatitis can range from mild to life threatening and it's impossible to tell without doing at least a physical exam how severe it could be right now. On the more serious side of things, not eating and acting dull can be a sign of internal organ disease like kidney failure, liver failure, diabetes, or cancer. Obviously some of these are less likely given her young age, but they are not impossible. A complicating factor here is that cats can get get severe liver disease if they go too long without eating. This typically happens in fat cats who stop eating suddenly. Hepatic lipidosis can perpetuate their lack of appetite, and their lack of nutritional intake then makes the hepatic lipidosis worse. For this reason, I typically tell my clients that I want to examine their cat if he or she hasn't eaten in more than 24 hours. If you're approaching that time frame with Kiki, then I would suggest having her evaluated by a veterinarian in person as soon as you're able.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 8 months ago.
Hi Denise,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Doc Sara