Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Customer: he is drooling and chomping his jaw and doing nothing

Customer Question

Customer: he is drooling and chomping his jaw and doing nothing but laying around and sleeping really worried
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Spider and he's about a year now
JA: How old is Spider?
Customer: 1 year I think he was a stray
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. Given these signs, my main worry would be oral ulcers or a tooth issue. He's awfully young for dental disease, but he could have a chipped or fractured tooth that is infected. I think the more likely scenario is that he has Calicivirus and oral ulcers. These look like little red patches in the mouth and on the tongue. I would get a good oral exam done to figure out what is causing the signs. If it's a tooth issue, the tooth can be removed. If it's Calici, we usually treat with antibiotics to prevent infection and pain meds until they heal.I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.