Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I had 3 cats have 3 litters of kittens. 15 babies in total.

Customer Question

I had 3 cats have 3 litters of kittens. 15 babies in total. The first 2 mommies did awesome. They co parent their litters. The third was attacking and taking the babies..etc. she actually ate the feet off one of her babies. The other two mommies have been feeding her babies and taking care of them. The one with its feet eaten is still alive but I fear not for long. It is ok to keep the other mommy separate. When we have tried to bring her around she sits on all the babies and has no interest in feeding them?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear that Ginger isn't being a good mother. Honestly, there are some moms that just don't have very good motherly instincts. If the other two moms are taking care of her kittens and they are doing well in that situation, then it would seem ok for them to not be around her. Could she change her ways and start to take care of them better? While that is possible, it seems more likely that she will not take as good of care of them as she should. So in response to your question, it would seem ok to keep her separate from her kittens as long as they are doing well with the others. What would be a good consideration here is to maybe get her spayed so she's not in this situation again when the chance arises.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Absolutely. I fear for the one that she tried to eat. Its still alive. Missing feet. The other cats have tried to take care of it, but seem confused when it wont eat. Will it certainly die?? I have been feeding it supplemently with a tube. Should I not?? Like just let nature take its course??
How many feet is this little one missing? This is a situation where with care and persistence, it could be helped through this situation. But, the consideration has to be there as to what its overall quality of life will be long term. I personally have a 3 legged cat that lost one leg due to trauma (it was brought in as a stray with severe wounds to a single back leg that needed amputation). She has a great quality of life.
If she's not doing well, the best thing that could be done is to take her to your vet for them to look her over and to see if letting her go would be best. This would be the most humane thing to do if she's not doing well.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The one is really just toes. The other is to mid knee. Its still moving,breathing etc. I havent seen the other two feed little guy. But they lick him and clean him.
If the other two aren't helping to feed him, then you taking over that role most likely is needed if he is to have a chance. Can he get through these injuries? It would seem to be possible, but the best thing is to have a vet check him over as they most likely will want to get some antibiotics going. As he grows up, he most likely will adapt to his handicap.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Today one of the foster cats started to take babies and put them somewhere else?? What would cause this??
This is something that some mom's will do. They feel like the current area where the kittens are at is too - out in the open, not secure enough, not good enough for them to rest, etc... Basically mom is feeling like she needs to find a better spot for them. Sometimes this is due to them being examined / pressured too much. If things are going well, then maybe giving them a little more alone time is needed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well all moms are with their perspective babies in separate rooms. And everyone seems to be doing ok. The mom who ate her baby originally seems to be ok and calm. One of the other foster moms started taking her babies and putting them somewhere else. So we separated everyone with just their babies and everyone seems to be doing better and ok.
That is great that everyone is doing well with their own litters! When they start moving kittens, usually it is again due to them feeling like they need to find a new, more secure / secluded location. I hope that everyone continues to do well!