Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

Customer: My can has been vomiting bile hours and just

Customer Question

Customer: My can has been vomiting bile for 48 hours and just started pooping bloody diarrhea. I am very concerned. She is off her game, not eating and drinking very little water. I did entice her with baby food chcken in very small amounts, but an limiting her intake.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I know of. She is an indoor cat.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How much blood did she pass? A spoonful, more or less?Can she keep the babyfood and water down?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, checking the cat....
Blood is probably less than a tsp total. It appears that she is keeping the babyfood and water down. Her gums are pink, but look sticky. She didn't tense or appear tender when I pressed on her stomach. I cleaned up her bottom and her anus looks white. She is passing the blood in diarrhea.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
No worries all,I am still here and typing my reply for you.I will post shortly,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again, First, I am glad to hear that it is just a small volume of blood. In that case, its likely due to colonic irritation secondary to the diarrhea as opposed to due to a haemorrhagic disease process or harmful ingestion. Therefore, our main concerns for her signs will be colitis, bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections (ie Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Coccidia, etc), or a general dietary indiscretion. With this all in mind, as long as she can keep that baby food and the water down, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach and improve that appetite. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication. If she can keep that down and settles, we can then continue the baby food (as long as its onion/garlic free of course) or also use boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or an OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and reduce her diarrhea for us. Otherwise, since dehydration is a risk with her reduced thirst, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Finally, to slow her diarrhea you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ This is available OTC at most pharmacies. (Do avoid Loperamide, Pepto Bismol, or products with Salicylic acid since these are not cat friendly). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. Still, if the blood is not profuse it is likely secondary to the diarrhea itself. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already (further to those sticky gums, which are an early stage sign), or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, appetite stimulants, +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
THank you Dr. B. I will check for dehydration and follow up with the vet if she cannot keep water or baby food down. It is comforting to know that you're here to help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome,I am glad I could be of help and that sounds like a great plan of action. :)Best wishes to you both,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )