Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My 4 year old cat just had one episode of a seizure like loss

Customer Question

My 4 year old cat just had one episode of a seizure like loss of muscle control and seemed dizzy and disoriented. It seemed to last less than a minute or so. It's possible she ate a piece of a jade plant leaf that was on the floor, which I have just learned can be fatal. She seems to be back to normal, but I'm wondering if I need to take her to the vet immediately. The nearest emergency vet to me with night hours is more than an hour drive.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. As long as Taz is currently appearing normal, you can monitor her at this stage. While the jade plant isn't cat friendly, it only tends to cause GI upset and lethargy; therefore it is less suspect as the cause of her seizure earlier.Therefore, we'd want to monitor but as long as its a one-off, we'd not be worried (and often we as vets won't find anything clinically abnormal after a single seizure). Of course if we see any more or she show any other signs (ie drooling, vomiting, tremors, head tilts, circling, behavior changes, etc), then we'd want to plan to have a full check up +/- bloods done by her vet. That way we can make sure there are no ongoing brain based infections, growths, liver issues, or brewing epilepsy. And based on those findings, her vet would be able to help you pinpoint what issue is present and start treatment to address this for her. But again at the moment, if she is normal, we can just keep things calm, quiet, and keep an eye on her. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.