Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

I have a kitten who is about 5 weeks old,however he's changed

Customer Question

I have a kitten who is about 5 weeks old,however he's changed a great deal since Monday, he's not eating, stopped drinking water and moms milk yesterday, I haven't seen any evidence of using the litter box since yesterday as well, is my kitten slowly dying??? And is there any advice you may have onto what caused this major change to what was once a healthy lively kitten????
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 11 months ago.
Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Barbara, and I'd like to assist you and Nova tonight. I'm so sorry that Nova is so ill ! Do you know if he is able to urinate and defecate on his own? Do you have his mom and other kittens in the litter?
Do you know if the mom has feline leukemia virus?
Kittens are very vulnerable to hypothermia (getting too cold) and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) from not eating. Unless there is intervention with supportive care there is a downward spiral that will end in death. Even when we intervene, there may not be a good outcome. The very best would be to seek veterinary care tonight for Nova tonight. At the very least he needs to have an ambient temperature of about 90 degrees and he needs to be given pedialyte and Karo syrup by mouth (absorbed through his mucus membranes). He should have about 2 cc of pedialyte hourly and 1cc of Karo Syrup every 15 minutes until he perks up and then hourly.
Don't just wrap him for warmth, but offer an external source of heat. Honestly, to be in a bra next to a chest or in an armpit would be good.