Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Customer: . I just got home from work and my cat was falling

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. I just got home from work and my cat was falling down - sometimes over - when she attempted to take a step. She is 15 years old, is an indoor cat and has been healthy all of her life. She is a healthy eater and drinks lots of water. Due to her age, I can see that she is having more difficulty jumping onto an ottoman where she likes to sleep but I attributed that to her age and arthritis. She was fine this morning when I left for work.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Tabby. How would lethargy affect her ability to stand and walk?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 8 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I'm sorry to hear Tabby is having trouble walking or at least falling over. This is concerning. There are many possible causes for this ranging from affected vestibular nerve (inner ear disease such as infection or polyp/tumor OR vestibular disease/syndrome) to generalized weakness from something like anemia or electrolyte imbalances to blood pressure issues to a neurological problem (spinal issue or primary brain issue). I really wish I could easily narrow down this list for you but it is going to require an examination by your vet and some testing which might include lab work (Complete blood count, chemistry profile with electrolytes, urinalysis, thyroid check) +/- radiographs (X-rays).We do certainly have to take into account arthritis, but this usually causes some difficulty jumping up/down and a stiff gait but not usually the falling over, at least in cats (we do see the falling over in dogs, though).We must determine if this is an emergency situation that cannot wait until tomorrow since she was fine this morning and not fine when you got home. If she is declining within a period of several hours, profoundly lethargic/weak, her gums are white/pale or she has a seizure then this is an emergency situation. Otherwise, try to continue her normal routine and monitor her closely. There is nothing over-the-counter I would recommend doing as I am not sure what the exact problem may be.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.