Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

I have a 10 yr old spayed indoor cat who is always running

Customer Question

I have a 10 yr old spayed indoor cat who is always running and playing as though she was much younger, however she is lethargic, not eating or drinking today, and has a rectal temp of 102.1 F. She has 2 other siblings who are fine, and does not have any interaction with any outdoor animals. Can you suggest what might be her problem? She has never been sick, although approximately 4 weeks ago she had the same symptoms, but wit a temp of 106 and I immediately took her to her Veterinarian and it had gone up to 107, at which time he gave her fluids and two types of antibiotics. She spent the night there, and her fever came down to 103.5 I brought her home the next day at the vet's suggestion with both types of antibiotics because she would not eat or drink for them. She did for me and I gave her the full regiment of the antibiotics
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 9 months ago.

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Barbara and would like to be of help to you and Zoe today. Sorry to hear that she's not feeling well again. She may have a recurrence of what she had 4 weeks ago, or she could be dealing with something totally different.

A temperature of 102.1 is within normal range, however at the upper end of normal. Since she is at home, this could actually indicate a fever since she hasn't had the stress of traveling to the vet's office.

Does she have any other symptoms this time? Any vomiting or diarrhea? Any coughing, sneezing or eye discharge? Is she urinating normally. . .normal amounts and frequency?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not remember my password ***** before. Thank you. I don't think she has used the litter box lately, possibility this morning. When I picked her up to take her temp, her stomach seemed to make some sounds.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No to any coughing, sneezing, diarrhea or eye discharge

Sorry for the duplication!

For how long has she been lethargic and not eating? Just today?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She lives in a clean home, and I feel bad because today is her 10th Birthday. I cannot afford the live phone call because
I only have social security disability income.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
just today
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you still there Dr. Barbara?

Yes. . .sorry! We can safely just see how she does overnight. Not eating and drinking for 24 hours is not a problem, as long as she is breathing OK, not vomiting excessively and not having too much diarrhea.

One other thing to check is the color of her gums? Are they pink with good color return within 2 seconds after you push on them?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll be right back
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry for my delay. Went to find Zoe to check her gums, and they seem ok. While I had her, I rechecked her rectal temp, and it now was 101.7. So it came down a couple points. I also gave her 1mg each of the two different antibiotics that I had left from 4 weeks ago. I still have a couple of doses left. She went back under a table to lay down. She was making some little grunts or moans while I was holding her. Do you have any other suggestions?i

Glad to hear that her temp is down and that her gums are pink. Without fever it's hard to say that she has a bacterial infection somewhere or of some kind, but a couple of doses of antibiotics shouldn't hurt.

Don't know of course what her grunts were from. . .distress from being held or pain somewhere? I really don't have any other suggestions except that I can be quite sure that giving her the tincture of time will be safe for her. If she doesn't show any other symptoms by tomorrow, but still doesn't want to eat then she should see her vet. If cats don't eat for a few days no matter what the cause, they can get a secondary liver disease called hepatic lipidosis which can be quite serious.

I want to let you know that you are great to work with. . .very capable and knowledgeable. . .Thank you!

Hope that you have found this information very helpful, but if you have any further questions or concerns please let me know. Otherwise I would greatly appreciate your rating us as this is the only way I can receive credit for our chat!

Thank you and have a good night,

Dr. Barbara