Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

Ihave a 16 year old indoor cat. She has always been a small

Customer Question

hi there,
Ihave a 16 year old indoor cat. She has always been a small cat but in the past few months she has become thinner. She still eats alot, drinks alot, and has also recently started walking a bit funny too. She has been pooping outside of the litter box for almost a month id say but still pees inside her litter box.
She doesnt show shes in pain, shes not whining or anything. From my description, what would you suggest this could be? just the aging process?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. With a girl her age, the most common things that can happen and look similar to what you're seeing with her are hyperthyroidism, diabetes, and chronic renal insufficiency. These things can be screened for easily with blood work and urine evaluation. The diabetes and chronic renal failure are the ones that typically have increased drinking, urination, and weight loss associated with them. The hyperthyroidism can be treated with a specific diet or surgery or oral medications. The diabetes can be treated with insulin. The chronic renal insufficiency can be managed with a specific diet. Overall, I know it is not the least stressful thing to take a girl like her to the vet. But, in this situation, that little stress will hopefully allow her issue to be identified and then her overall health improved so she can be with you the longest and best time.