Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My Maine Coon Lola, age 12, has been having sneezing fits

Customer Question

My Maine Coon Lola, age 12, has been having sneezing fits lately, with watery eyes. Her appetite is good, she is drinking, and she sees normal otherwise. She was also checked out by my vet (her annual physical) just last week and is fine except for a heart murmur that has not changed much in the past year. Your advice?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

My advice is to simply "watchful wait". The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common cause of sneezing and epiphora (increased tearing) in cats and it's expected to go into remission 1-3 weeks after the onset of symptoms - unaided. As long as she remains normal otherwise there's no reason to have her attended to by her vet once again. Either the stress of her last visit reactivated this virus from its carrier state or she picked up the virus while visiting the vet.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Hi Dan,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Lola seems fine now. Many thanks. Dan

That's good to hear. Thank you for taking the time to let me know. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.