petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

Can I give small amounts of melatonin to my senior car who

Customer Question

Can I give small amounts of melatonin to my senior car who has kidney disease?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Heiny today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

In humans it is recommended to "use caution" if there is kidney impairment. Melatonin is a relatively benign supplement, so unless his kidney values are moderately elevated, it should pose no risks. It would not be a bad idea to monitor his values once you start using it regularly for any increases.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.
Hi Stephanie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.