Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.

I am just wondering about the survival rate cat. He ate 1

Customer Question

Customer: I am just wondering about the survival rate for my cat. He ate 1 leaf from an Asiatic ***** *****. I took him to the vet and we had him vomit it up about 1 and half after consumption. He has been given charcoal and is now on an iv. I can't afford to have him on an iv continuously for 48 hours so we are taking him home tonight and bringing him back for another 8 hours tomorrow
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He vomited up the whole leaf and it didn't look digested yet. There was food that he ate before the ***** ***** that was still pretty whole that vomited up too. His blood work showed that his kidney levels were all still normal and we couldn't get a urine sample because he had peed right before the vet
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yeah that is fine with me. Paying for peace of mind
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am so sorry for your concerns about your cat. Ingestion of even small amounts of the Asiatic lily can indeed result in damage to the kidneys & possibly even death. Your quick action to get him to the vet for decomtamination ( vomiting & charcoal ) & IV fluids will undoubtedly minimize any significant damage to your kitties kidneys.

Is your cat still eating? This is a very important indicator that all is still OK. I would have no problems with you taking him home tonight if there has been no vomiting. Your vet may even place some additional fluids under the skin ( subcutaneously ), to continue to flush the kidneys overnight.

If your cat is still not vomiting in the morning, has urinated in the litter box, & is eating, he will probably make a full recovery. It is not a bad idea to continue the fluids again in the morning, & perhaps reevaluate the kidney values as well, but if he remains clinically normal, then he will be fine.

I hope this has addressed your concerns. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you.