Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

My cat that we rescued a few months ago, he came in from

Customer Question

My cat that we rescued a few months ago, he came in from being outside for a few days and his body is covered in small wart like bumps. I can't really see them, his hair is really thick, I've tried shaving him, but from that I can tell, they resemble nipples and are flesh colored. They go from the base of his ears to his back legs and every where in between, he's covered in them, but doesn't seem bothered.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that Stormy has these bumps - I'll try to help you sort out what's going on.

So if I understand correctly - these weren't there before he went out, but they are there after he has come back in?

In that case, I'd consider either scabs from trauma outside (a fight with another cat or moving through some bushes or brambles), plant material like burrs or jaggers stuck in his fur, or ticks. Something stuck in his fur could be clipped off easily, while scabs or ticks are attached to the skin and won't come off without pulling. Ticks can look like small skin tags or nipples, as you've described. They attach to the pet's skin and drink their blood, gradually growing in size for a few days before falling off. They can range in color from tan to brown to gray. Here is some more info on cats and ticks:

I'd be happy to review a picture or two. If in doubt, though, the best thing to do is to have him examined in person by your veterinarian.

Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara