Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My cat has been drinking more water, urinating more often,

Customer Question

My cat has been drinking more water, urinating more often, and has been eating more frequently. Her weight is slightly down. She was tested yesterday for diabetes and thyroid problems. Both tested negative. Her white blood cell count was up so she was given an anti-biotic shot. Her blood work was all perfect. Any ideas what the problem could be? Thank you!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

Michelle, can you upload a copy of Emmy's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Emmy's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as

My first thought is that hyperthyroidism is being underdiagnosed because her symptoms are pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of either diabetes mellitus or hyperthyroidism. Diabetes is easy to rule out with a blood glucose test. Hyperthyroidism can be missed if the normal range of the T4 (total thyroid blood test) 1.0-4.0 ug/dL is considered normal in a 13 year old Any T4 of 2.0 ug/dL or higher should be worrisome for hyperthyroidism in a 13 year old.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you! Tomorrow I will have the actual test numbers for Emmy. I will
forward them to you once I get them. Can this be fatal for the cat if not diagnosed properly? Thank you!

Sounds good! Yes, and so let's get to the bottom of this. Urinary tract infection involving the kidneys can cause an increased volume of urine and compensatory increased thirst but not losing weight in spite of eating more. A complete urinalysis should have been performed to see if infection were present in her urinary tract. An increased white blood cell count only tells me that either physiologic leukocytosis (a stress response) or inflammation is present in Emmy's body - not necessarily the inflammation associated with infection.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. Please don't open up a new question when you respond.