Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My cat is almost 18. Last fall I noticed, first time, that

Customer Question

My cat is almost 18. Last fall I noticed, for the first time, that he was losing weight. Now he is skin and bones. He eats like a horse, his bodily functions are very good, and he drinks gallons of water. But, I guess, his food does not help because he wants to eat all the time. He seems disoriented a lot of the time and seems to be getting though he is starving to death, in spite of the food he eats. Is there anything I can do for him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Hasie. You've described both underdiagnosed hyperthyroidism and diabetes mellitus in an 18 year old and these diseases can coexist. While the normal range of the T4 (total thyroid blood test) is cited to be 1.0-4.0 ug/dL, 2.0 ug/dL or higher should be suspicious of hyperthyroidism at Hasie's age particularly if Hasie is tachycardic (increased heart rate) and a palpably enlarged thyroid gland are present. Diabetes mellitus is easily diagnosed by a simple blood glucose test. I don't understand a vet telling you that each test needs to be done separately. We perform a senior/geriatric diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests on cats such as Hasie regularly.

Can you upload a copy of Hasie's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Hasie vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as