Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

He is 15 years old. Has been losing weight since November

Customer Question

Customer: Yes, he is 15 years old. Has been losing weight since November and now is skeletal. I took him to the Vet in December and they found nothing wrong, but he has lost even more weight since then. He is always crying for food so I give him extra food, but now is pooping and peeing where ever and he never did that before. He is a happy kitty and has no behavioral issues. Does not drink anymore than usual.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Adam. Thank you. I'm just afraid he is close to the end and he is my baby. I've had him for 15 years and he has never been ill, but he cannot maintain this weight or lose more weight and nothing seems to help.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Adam?
Customer: He was 14lbs (tuxedo cat, so he was solid, not fat) at his last visit, then in December when I noticed the weight loss he was done to 9lbs. Now you can feel every bone in his body. He tilts his head to one side often and has had balance issues on occasion. He just falls to the side and kicks his legs like he can't get his balance
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Adam. Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Adam's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/ A 15 year old cat who is always crying for food but isn't drinking any more than usual is usually hyperthyroid which might have been underdiagnosed in his case. Inappropriate elimination is also something we see with uncontrolled hyperthyroidism. Even though the T4 (total thyroid blood test) normal range is cited as 1-4 ug/dL any T4 of 2.0 or higher suggests hyperthyroidism at Adam's age.

You've also mentioned signs of vestibular (balance) disorder in the form of head tilt and ataxia ("drunken sailor") which may or may not be related to hyperthyroidism. Peripheral vestibular disorder may result from inner/middle ear polyps at his age. Central vestibular disorders may result from hypertension and strokes secondary to hyperthyroidism.

Hi Brenna,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?