Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My sons cat fell 4 stories and is at vet with a possible

Customer Question

My sons cat fell 4 stories and is at vet with a possible spinal fracture. We will have X-ray soon. He may have an MRI as well and a neuro consult. Can spinal surgery give the cat any quality of life after surgery? Unclear whether spinal cord is involved at this point. He is alert but can not move. It may be a $15,000 surgery and the cat may not be able to urinate or deficate on his own. It is absolutely not about the money but the quality of the cats life. He is 10, very large and very strong. Are these surgeries successful ever?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I am so sorry to hear that this poor lad has suffered such a trauma and injury. In regards ***** ***** question, provided the vertebral fracture damage is repairable and the spine hasn't been irreversibly damaged, these patients can do quite well with surgery. Of course, the neurologist will examine him, his MRI results, and xrays very carefully before undertaking any surgery to make sure that he is a good candidate and has chance of regaining enough function to make his life worthwhile. Though if there is a question about his ability to regain function, they will be the first to tell you that surgery wouldn't likely be successful and advise letting him go if that is the case.

Overall and in regards ***** ***** question, the success rate depends completely on his damaged the spine is after this fall. If the vets feel that the fracture can be repaired and the spinal damage isn't severe, then surgery would be a viable option to helping this lad regain his feet and live a good quality life.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.