Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My very elderly cat has started to make a rattling sound

Customer Question

My very elderly cat has started to make a rattling sound whilst breathing. When swallowing she gulps. She is a little more lathergic She is still eating and is still mobile.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. There can be a few reasons for abnormal breathing sounds in cats. If there is a wheezing and/or coughing sound, then asthma or some other lung inflammatory disease, such as heartworms or lung worms, are very possible. If this is more of a snoring or a high pitched sound, then there is usually something something blocking the airways. With her age, a tumor in the nasal cavity, throat or windpipe are very possible. Foreign body obstructions, tracheal collapse, fluid buildup around the throat or voice box, granulomatous lesions, a polyp and excessive tissue overgrowth are all possible. Either way you look at it, there is usually a big concern when this is happening with an elderly cat. Your vet may be able to get a good enough look into her throat or listen to her lungs to determine what may be going on, but an x-ray of the chest or throat may be necessary. In many cases, even if it is decided to not try to get a definitive diagnosis but just see if you can get her feeling better, they may be able to prescribe a couple of medications to help with the breathing. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John