How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 10064
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm wondering if maybe you can give me some peace of

Customer Question

Hi, I'm wondering if maybe you can give me some peace of mind. I'm worried about Easter Lily poisoning. My family kept a lily in our house. I had no idea how terrible they were for cats, until recently. Yesterday someone asked me if Mick was chewing on the lily. I looked at one of the flowers, and some of the petals do have holes and tears...but it didn't really look like it was from cat bites. My father said that the flower had those holes/marks since it first opened up days ago. Still, I'm worried because I can't completely rule out that my cat wasn't nipping at the lily flower.From everything I read, initial symptoms from lily poisoning happen rapidly after ingestion. But my cat has been acting completely fine. No vomiting or lethargy...he's been acting normal. He eats, drinks, uses the litterbox, and plays. It has been about 36 hours since this issue was brought to my attention, and according to my father...the tears on the lily flower have been there for days. Does it seem unlikely my cat has been poisoned? As aforementioned, I'm not even certain he was biting at the lily. If he was, shouldn't he have displayed some symptoms by now? He acts fine. Local veterinarians are all closed for the weekend, and the nearest emergency vet is hours away-- which I don't have the money for.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. While you may see some symptoms of illness within 6-12 hours of ingestion, kidney failure can actually take 24-72 hours to develop. If you haven't seen any of those symptoms yet, chances are he did not eat any of the plant, but those symptoms may not show up 100% of the time before kidney failure develops. So, I wouldn't say that he is out of the woods yet, but I suspect that he hasn't been poisoned at this point. It only takes 2-3 leaves to cause toxicity. Even licking the pollen off themselves can be toxic. If he was my cat, I would monitor him for any symptoms of lethargy, anorexia or vomiting. If you haven't seen any of these symptoms in 3 days after ingestion, he will most likely be fine. If you do notice any of these symptoms, though, I wouldn't hesitate to get him immediate veterinary attention, even if it is the emergency vet. You want to treat before kidney failure sets in. If you wait until after that time, the prognosis for recover is very poor. The website below will have more information on this toxicity. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mick. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Related Cat Veterinary Questions