How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask petdrz Your Own Question
petdrz, Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 7243
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
petdrz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cat ingested 3 small pieces of a peace lily and vomited

Customer Question

My cat ingested 3 small pieces of a peace lily and vomited them.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: MO, 7 YRS.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about MO?
Customer: I would like to give him activate charcoal. He weighs 12.5 lbs. Dose?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Mo today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Peace lily ingestion is not the type of lily that causes problems due to toxin absorption so activated charcoal would have no effect. The "toxic" principle of this plant is the release of insoluble crystals that cause irritation and swelling of the oral cavity. This can lead to vomiting and swelling of the lips, mouth and even airways. Depending on how many crystals were released will determine the severity of the signs. Giving charcoal will be of no benefit and may even be contraindicated if he is having any trouble swallowing.

Here are links to more information about this plant and the types of symptoms that may occur if ingested. Also so you can verify that this is the type of lily that was ingested.



If Mo is showing any signs of discomfort, I would definitely make sure to have him treated at a veterinary ER today.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Related Cat Veterinary Questions