Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Treatment of the philodendron house plant?

Customer Question

Treatment for ingestion of the philodendron house plant?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Is your cat currently experiencing any symptoms?

How long ago did this occur?

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
About one week.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.

Are there any symptoms?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Lethargy, lack of appetite, will eat small amts kitten chow at intervals and water, seems dehydrated, using litter box , seems to have to be reminded to eat.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the information. This plant is not toxic but it is very irritating to the mouth and stomach and can lead to painful ulcers. This does heal on it's own but it takes awhile and he/she may need help from the vet if the ulcers are infected. Since he/she is still being affected 1 week later then likely he/she will need antibiotic therapy. What you can do for now is continue to give soft easy to chew/swallow foods and give 1/2 of a human antacid (famotidine 10mg or rantidine 75 mg) 2x daily. If he/she is not improving by Mon then likely antibiotics from the vet will be needed as well as pain medication until the ulcers heal. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Dan