Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

He swallowed a 12" by 1/2" wide piece of ribbon. Mo and he's

Customer Question

Customer: He swallowed a 12" long by 1/2" wide piece of ribbon.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Mo and he's 4.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mo?
Customer: Nope.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Mo ate a ribbon. How long ago? Was it plastic ribbon, or cotton?

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Sometimes a ribbon that long will pass in a few days, but sometimes it can cause a blockage in the intestines. It seems cotton or paper ribbon is more likely to pass than nylon or plastic. If he got this in the last half hour, it might be worth trying to induce vomiting to see if it can be brought back up. More than an hour, it is usually too late to induce vomiting.

Also, there are no safe over the counter or home products for inducing vomiting in cats. Hydrogen peroxide can burn the inside of the esophagus or stomach. I will use it in dogs, but I use prescription drugs to induce vomiting in cats.

Let me know how long ago this happened.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

How is he today?