Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has maybe a food allergy and we need to do a food

Customer Question

My cat has maybe a food allergy and we need to do a food trial with z/d.
But he also likes wet food and he would not eat the z/d wet food so don't know what to do. The only thing he likes is the food that is the consistency of minced food with sauce. He does not eat paste like food.
I was thinking to make my own wet food. Can I do that and how? Is that advisable?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your cat today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How was it determined that he may have a food allergy? What signs is he showing with the allergies?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sure-he would scoot on the floor lately( checked for impaction of the anal glands and they were fine). Had a wound on the face( vet not sure if due to him playing tough or what), had a crust on his paw pad( but healed fine- it was mainly a crust), has eye discharge every morning( white cat and has black eye discharge but te vet says it does not look infected and looks fine), had some ear infections in the past
So that is what the vet says that mainly can be- atopy or food sensitivity and to start first with food before we go to the derm for further testing.his only symptom now is scooting on the floor once or twice a day

Okay thanks for the additional information. The challenge with allergies is that many cats can have a combination both food and atopy. However you do have a couple of options regarding the food since he doesn't like the z/d. One is that you can look for a novel protein diet which can be considered hypoallergenic. These diets consist of ingredient not common in commercial diets. This includes ingredients such as rabbit, duck, venision and potato. Also you can test for food allergies as well and see what ingredients you need to avoid when buying food

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I do that? A derm does that only right?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I find that novel protein source?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried feeding duck and pea from nature source but it is paste...

You can sometimes find these type of diets in tractor supply stores or novelty pet stores that sell specialty diets. I know Red bandana and Blue Buffalo sell those type of diets. Also there is a allergy testing panel called Glacier Allergy testing that just involves fur and saliva then can check for food allergies. It cost significantly less than other blood allergy panels. You can ask your veterinarian about that.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That saliva and fur tests for food allergies only?

No it does environmental allergies as well. It may not be as accurate as the blood tests but I have had some good results from them. Some people were able to avoid stuff that their pets were allergic too and it really helped with their allergies. I will try to find the website for you

Okay I found the website it is called Glacier Peak Holistics, You can click on the link to get more information

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I do the test? Through the vet or do I send it in?

Your vet will have to set up an account with the company and they will collect the samples and send it in. Remember it is not as accurate as the blood tests but I have had success with it for avoidance of certain ingredients and environmental factor.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you recall about how much it costed?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also can you tell me some brands and options I should buy for food that would be minced? I don't seem to find any locally so I will order- but what?

We charge around 90 $ for the test. But the cost may vary based on how much your veterinarian marks up the test? As far as the minced foods sometimes they can be difficult to find for hypoallergenic food. You can try Blue Buffalo to see if they have any options for cat food