Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My older cat who is 17 this year. He has lost weight and

Customer Question

My older cat who is 17 this year. He has lost weight and drinks alot of water. I also noticed he makes a peculiar sound when he swallows, like a full sound. I just noticed when he jumped out of the kitty box is pee was frothy. I have heard most cats get kidney failure in old age, is there anything that can prevent or do I let nature take its course.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Noah's situation. The description of drinking a lot and losing the weight could be due to chronic renal failure. This is definitely something that a lot of cats can get as they age. But, it could also be due to diabetes. The most common reasons for older cats to be losing weight are chronic renal disease, diabetes, hyperthryroidism and cancer. As far as the situation with Noah, if he does have diabetes, there are definitely treatment options available. This is something that is easily screened for with blood work and a urine evaluation. I would strongly recommend getting to your vet to have them check him over as there are treatment options that can help him to hopefully lead a longer, productive life.