Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My female cat seems to be having a problem urinating &

Customer Question

My female cat seems to be having a problem urinating & acting very out of character. Earlier I came home from shopping & carried all bags in...then she pawed at one of the bags & got on top of it looking like she was trying to go...when she moved I checked & there was very small amount...hardly any..& was tinted pinkish red. Since it is after hours, the only thing NOW would be the animal hospital for emergency. Since I don't have a lot of money, I was wanting to wait until tomorrow to take to a veterinary. So, can you give me an idea of what's going on case scenarios?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Missy has blood in her urine and is having some accidents, one on a plastic bag. I think that she is definitely trying to get your attention and tell you she is uncomfortable.

Cats can have blood in their urine due to an infection, crystals or calculi in their urinary tract, or even a mass in their urinary or reproductive tract.

Cats with sterile inflammation of the bladder (Interstitial Cystitis) can have an inflamed, thickened bladder lining that bleeds.

Cats tend to be poor drinkers and as such have very concentrated urine which can allow irritating crystals to form in her urine, which can lead to calculi forming.

It sounds like she straining to urinate, only passing a small amount and urinating frequently.

Is she licking her genital area more then usual?

Is she eating normally?

Any vomiting?

I know that a veterinary visit isn't easy on many kitties but this is something that we may be easily able to fix and if she is having accidents that means she is likely uncomfortable and experiencing inflammation and urges to go.

I don't think this is an emergency tonight, but if you can get her see tomorrow morning that would be ideal.

Being female (short urinary tract) and older (weaker immune system) and her accidents an infection is very likely, and that we can help easily in most cases. I would start with a physical examination and urinalysis with culture to see if she has a health problem. Depending upon her examination findings radiographs and/or an ultrasound of her abdomen to evaluate her kidneys and bladder may be recommended.

It is possible that she has calculi (stones) in her bladder too, that may require surgery.

Worst case scenario is a kidney infection or a tumor in her bladder.

You can choose how involved you prefer to get with diagnostics, but a urinalysis with culture is relatively inexpensive and usually is enough to get us started in helping her.

Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No vomiting...she has still been eating...and yes, she has been licking herself more. In & out of the litter box, meowing...and she has started something new...going into the bathtub & acting like she is digging in her litter box...but very loudly & aggressively!!
You said the urinalysis/culture to see if she has a health problem.....??? Does that mean infection...?Also, wouldn't the vet be able to 'feel' a tumor without xray or ultra sound?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
oh my gosh...I'm sorry about the time...I've been texting on the phone to a friend inquiring about some veterinary options for tomorrow. Then my son called to remind me about picking him up at the airport in the morning as he returns from spring break! Good thing he called...with this going on about the cat, I had completely forgotten! Not to imply that the cat is more important than HE is, of course!! Then I finally get back to my laptop to check your reply, only to discover that I never scrolled down & clicked 'send'!
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry I missed your replies last night. I waited a bit and the site clock indicated you had gone offline so I signed off too.

Licking herself, meowing and her aggressive digging in the bathtub are signs she is feeling discomfort/inflammation. Some cats act like they are going to urinate elsewhere or actually will urinate in places other than their litter box as a way to try to alleviate frustration, let their owners know something is up, and trying to find another place to urinate hoping it may be more comfortable for them.

The urinalysis is to look for bacteria, red and white blood cells, crystals, high levels of protein, glucose, abnormal looking bladder wall lining cells that can point us toward possible causes of her symptoms.

If a mass in her bladder or kidney is big enough we may be able to feel it on physical examination, but by then they are much harder to treat. We like to find them earlier on in the disease process so they are more amenable to treatment. Ultrasound allows us to look at the bladder wall and architecture of the kidneys and allows us to see changes earlier then we would be able to palpate them.

I hope that information helps. Enjoy having your son home, mine came home last weekend for break and the time with them flies by much too quickly.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions, if so please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****